Friday, May 25, 2007

NanoFiction and my guilty pleasure (audio link)

I've mentioned before that audiobooks are among my guilty pleasures. I read and write for a living, so by the time I'm ready to relax with some recreational reading, my eyes are shot. Audiobooks (I subscribe to Audible.com) also come in handy in traffic jams, long road trips and especially as a form of escape while doing mundane household chores.

So, I'm "reading" the second book in a series of film noir-esque sci-fi thrillers written by Richard K. Morgan and featuring a futuristic Sam Spade named Takeshi Kovacs.

Anyway, if you're like me and want true escape in your escapist fiction, I recommend the trilogy: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies.

Nanotech, of course, plays a role in this world in which consciousness can be uploaded and downloaded into different bodies ("sleeves," in Morgan's world).

Listen to the excerpt below from "Broken Angels." Pardon the quality, but the audio traveled yesterday from my car speakers to my cell phone, up do Odeo, over to Blogger, then out to you.

Oh, and there are some bad words said, so it might not be work- or kid-friendly. Hit the button below at your own risk. Enjoy.

Update: Just discovered that you need to have an account with Odeo to listen to the audio. It's free to sign up. Sorry about that, though. Had I known that they force you to sign up, I would not have used the service. Maybe they know that, and that's why there's no mention of it on the site.


powered by ODEO

No comments: