Friday, March 31, 2006

Eggs over easy, hash browns and nano

Actually, I had lunch (spinach pie), and not Breakfast at Angelo's, as the Dick Siegel song says. It's amazing, but during my three years as news editor for Small Times, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., I never once sought repast at the famous Angelo's.

Fortunately, the diner is spitting distance from the Michigan Nanotechnology Institute for Medicine and Biological Sciences (or M-NIMBS, as the institute wants to call itself). A couple of days ago, I met M-NIMBS Director James Baker and Tim Mayleben, CEO of University of Michigan spinout Avidimer Therapeutics (formerly NanoCure Corp.) at Angelo's for some fine dining and a discussion about dendrimers. I snapped the cameraphone picture above on the way out.

Dr. Baker is doing some amazing work not only in nanomedicine, but in forcing chemists and biologists to knock their heads together and produce cancer treatments that actually leave the lab and enter FDA trials. MIT Technology Review recently wrote about his work here. I featured him in a Wired News story last year.

As for me, it feels wonderful to be in my element once again, looking and feeling rushed and disheveled, notebook and tape recorder in hand, and committing random acts of journalism. I'll tell you what I'm working on later.

No comments: